Don’t build your volcano indoors, chose a place where you can do a big and huge mess, with fresh air circulation, vinegar smell can become very strong.
We will need:
- baking soda- sodium bicarbonate,
- vinegar, white and without flavors will work better,
- food coloring, lava is red but you can do it any color you chose,
- plastic bottle, PET, medium,
- 6 flour cups,
- 2 water cups,
- 4 oil tablespoons,
- 2 salt cups,
- tap water,
- dishwasher detergent,
- big bowl,
- materials like leaves, branches, sticks... ,
- large board.
- Prepare the place where you are going to build the volcano, beware with your clothes;
- Mix the flour, the water, the salt and the oil in the bowl;
- Mix until homogenized;
- Place the bottle on the board and mold the volcano cone around it. The bottleneck will be the crater and therefore must remain open;
- With the materials you collect- leaves, branches, sticks... - place your trees, houses, bridges, etc.
FASE 2- Eruption
- Fill the bottle in the volcano halfway with the tap water;
- Add food coloring, and about 6 dishwasher detergent drop;
- Add 3 or 4 tablespoons of baking soda;
- Squeeze vinegar bottle to the crater;
Vinegar (acetic acid) reacts with sodium bicarbonate and neutralizes it. In the reaction Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is formed and produces the bubbly and effervescent effect.
Food coloring gives color to your lava and the dishwasher detergent helps the effect to last longer.