Today we will see a different way to blow balloons, maybe isn't the most profitable but its for sure the funniest.
We will need:
- Medium plastic bottle (PET),
- big balloon, blow the balloon a couple of times before you use it,
- 1 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate, baking soda, a bit more if you want a bigger balloon;
- 3 tablespoons of acetic acid, vinegar, a bit more if you want a bigger balloon.
- Lay down baking soda in the bottle;
- Place the vinegar in the balloon, use a funnel if you need to;
- Secure the open end of the balloon to the neck of the bottle;
- Use the tape to hold the balloon to the bottle;
- Lift the balloon so the vinegar falls into the bottle.
Baking soda starts to bubbling when the vinegar touch it, and the balloon fills up.
A reaction occurs when vinegar (acetic acid) touches baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate). In this reaction Carbone dioxide is produced, along with water and sodium acetate, as show is reaction:
NaHCO3 (aq) + CH3COOH (aq) ----> CO2 (g) + H2O (l) + CH3COONa (aq)
Carbone dioxide is a gas, thats why the balloon fills up.