What? Bending bones? How?
Yes, bending bones, the effect works best if we use a bird bone, that’s because this bones are hallow.
What we need:
- a jar, with lid, big enough to the bone,
- 1 chicken bone, Lucky bone or the leg bone works best,
- Vinegar, no flavors, no additions.
- Wash the bone, with running water;
- Show the bone to your restless, show him/her how hard is to bend it;
- Place the bone on the jar;
- Cover it with vinegar;
- Screw the bottle cap;
- Let it rest for 3 days, place the jar in a safe place, you don’t want your kitchen smelling like vinegar;
- Remove the bone;
- Wash it on running water;
Bend it, tcham tcham! Is it really a rubber bone? Well it looks like one
Like our bones, chicken bone have calcium, this mineral gives it hardness.
What does the vinegar do to make this happen?
Vinegar is a weak acid, but it's strong enough to dissolve the bone calcium. Once the calcium gone there is nothing more to make it hard- all that remains is the soft bone tissue. Just like what happened here with the naked egg.
Ask your restless to answer this questions:
- Does the number of hours the bone is in the vinegar affects the final outcome? How?
- Does the size of the bone affect the demonstration? How?
- Using different kinds of vinegar will lead to different results?
A rubber bone