We got the idea here, and looks really simple, but it requires some work.
- paraffin, same we use here,
- balloons, medium size,
- old pot, you will never be able to use it again to cook,
- aluminum foil.
- Melt the wax on the pot;
- Fill the balloon with warm water;
- Try to keep the wax at the same temperature all time;
- Dip the balloon in the wax, slow and just to the water level;
- Keep it there for 4 or 5 seconds;
- Pull it out;
- Wait 10 seconds;
- Repeat the steps 4 to 7 for 3 or 4 times;
- Let the balloon to cool on the aluminum foil, the bottom will cool with a straight surface;
- Repeat all over again (4 to 9) 3 or 4 times until the lantern has the desired thickness;
- When the wax is completely cold, burst the balloon, do it in the bathroom!
- Heat up the aluminum foil in the stove and place you lantern on it, upside down.
NOTE: Don't dive the balloon above the water level!
Clean your lantern with a humid cloth, without detergent
- Paint it,
- Decorate it with a stencil, or geometric templates,
- Use a small hot object to carve it,
- Dye the wax like we did here,
It looks amazing!